The design of a personal room changes as the child grows up, and curtains in the nursery – a significant and expressive detail of interior design. They have a functional, practical purpose and create a special atmosphere in the room. What rules govern when selecting curtains – today our material.
Important points when choosing curtains for the nursery
Even as a tiny person, at the age of 3-4 years old child is aware of himself as a person. The preferences are formed, and he can already express what he likes. Despite his young age, you should pay close attention to the child’s preferences in color, shapes and images. It is these details should be properly reflected in the individual elements of the interior, including curtains.
Curtains in the children’s room from a functional point of view are:
- Practicality. Curtains are better to make a simple cut. Multilayered designs should be avoided, the window should “breathe”, and the fabric – do not collect dust and easy to wash.
- Adjustment of light flow. For children under 6 years of age, compulsory daytime sleep is recommended, so it is better to use combined curtains. For example, blinds, vertical curtains in combination with light fabric canvases. During the day, during sleep, darken the room with vertical curtains. When the baby is awake, fill the room with light.
Also when choosing curtains you should pay attention to such factors:
- Orientation to the sides of the world. Windows facing southeast should be slightly shaded. Use denser curtains. A room with an exit to the northwest requires additional light, respectively, light curtains are needed.
- Window size. A small window opening should visually expand. To do this, curtains are made wider than the window opening, or use adjustable vertical blinds plissé, rims. Visually raise the aperture of a small window can be achieved by using a vertical pattern.
- Eco-friendliness of materials. These are linen, cotton cloths, combinations with synthetic fiber. Such curtains are less crumpled. Special impregnations make the material resistant to pollution, the curtains absorb less dust. Antistatic impregnations are used to treat synthetics.
- Durability of designs. The baby’s room is a territory for play. Curtains in the nursery are no exception. The child can hide behind them, swing. Reliable fixation will prevent injuries. Do not recommend the use of sharp tips, heavy metal curtain rods.
- Length of curtains. It is not recommended to hang the cloths falling on the floor – a child might cling to them. The optimal length of the curtains – just below the window sill, or about 10-15 centimeters from the floor.
The aesthetic design depends on the style. In children’s rooms, unlike rooms for adults, use a more vibrant and saturated colors, expressive drawings. Popularly themed children’s: space, sea, Lego-constructor, Barbie dolls, the world of animals. Themes are reflected in the color design of curtains for children’s rooms. Earlier there was a conventional gradation, the boy’s room was decorated in a range of blue, blue shades, and for girls chose pastel shades of pink.
Psychologists have noticed that color preference depends less on the gender of the child – more on the nature, temperament and preferences. The interpretation of modern design is not tied to the gender of the child, focused on the individuality of the character. Curtains in the children’s room are chosen on the basis of another of their purposes – to create comfort and a good mood.
Modern options for a boy and a girl
The trend in the design of the children’s room in the modern interpretation – to expand as much as possible, to free up space. Furniture – light colors, simple geometric shapes combined with bright details. Curtains in the children’s room often act as an accent, complement the interior. Modular furniture that is easy to rearrange, tables and beds transformers are welcome.
The room for girls
Pastel colors with bright inclusions in the textile design, interior details prevail.
Variants of curtains in the nursery for a girl, with a soft lambrequin:
- Glamorous details: bows, ruffles, ruffles;
- prints with drawings of flowers, plants, fruits, polka dots;
- vertical curtains, Austrian, French, English;
- Laconic lambrequin with applique, for example, in the form of flowers;
- gauze (thread-like curtains);
- Curtains-beads as a supplement to the main curtains.
Complement the ensemble with interesting underpinnings in the idea of flowers, bows. Look interestingly soft toys-snatches. 3D-printed curtains revive the interior. As an image choose fairy tale subjects, floral motifs.
The color of the curtains is duplicated in the textile design: bed linen, pillows, chair covers, bedside mats.
It is interesting to look themed room. Assume the development of a concept, part of which are curtains. Most often it is a princess room, Barbie dolls, floral motifs.
Curtains in a boy’s room
Curtains in a boy’s room, as a rule, are more laconic. Suitable for the design of the window opening Roman curtains. Prints with drawings of planes, cars, spaceships.
Thematic concept for boys: marine, space, sports, robotics. In such a design solution will fit photo blinds.
Organically look in the interior of the room for the boy curtains with vertical stripes.
For the attachment of curtains, it is recommended to use reliable elements. Optimal options:
- ties, you can have a different color from the curtains;
- eyelets, rings in the curtains;
- a curtain sleeve, a pocket through which the tube of the curtain track is passed;
- braid, stitched curtain tape;
Design stylistic decoration in the nursery may not be as pronounced as in other rooms. Rather use individual elements, the emphasis is made on thematic design.
Among the modern trends in window decoration:
- the use of natural materials;
- window opening design with fabric blinds with drawings;
- blinds made of natural fabrics, burlap, bamboo, straw;
- trendy plisse curtains.
There is a wide range of fabrics and accessories for window arrangement in the nursery for every style.
Gamma pink, lavender, turquoise, and fuchsia colors are suitable for the interior of a girl’s room. They are soft, have a positive effect on the child’s psyche, soothing.
Yellow color “warms” the room. Suitable for windows oriented to the northwest. Sunny golden tones combine with a range of gray, green, beige, cream colors. Yellow is stimulating, uplifting.
The spectrum of blue and blue colors is associated with marine themes. It is noted that this color scheme positively influences the child’s nervous system. As a rule, boys are more active, perhaps that’s why the colors of this gamma prevail in the design of the rooms.
Bright, juicy colors used in certain parts of the interior, they should not prevail in the nursery, as act inflammatory. Bright colors are present in drawings, details, applications on curtains.
Age transformation of the interior
Children’s room dynamically changes as the child grows up. It is not economically beneficial to modify the entire interior as it grows. It’s easier to replace the curtains, wallpaper, wall coloring – and the room will be transformed. From a pragmatic point of view, it is better to buy furniture without pronounced elements of “childishness”, then it will easily fit into a renovated interior. The desire for change is clearly manifested in adolescence. Children strive to assert themselves, to confirm their status as an adult personality.
Variants of curtains for teenagers:
- Blinds: vertical, horizontal. Preference should be given to fabric types. Thanks to a special impregnation, they do not get dirty. There is a wide range of colors on the market.
- Roller blinds, which are collected in a roll.
- Blinds-plisse. Their advantage is that they are vertically adjustable at the top and bottom.
- Japanese blinds. The fixed fabric moves on special guides.
- Ordinary curtains of pastel, neutral tones.
The window decoration echoes the pattern of wallpaper, the upholstery of frameless poufs, the bedspread.
Curtains in the children’s room – a bright and expressive element of the interior. Select under the stylistics, as well as the thematic design of the room. Should take into account the child’s preferences, then he will be comfortable. The modern market of textile materials offers a large selection of fabrics, materials, accessories for curtains in the nursery.